Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 4 and 5: The final push

I woke up on 2.14 with a head full of junk, runny nose, runny eyes, and a headache. I tried to think of ways that I could make it through 3 hours on a bike but even the thought was too much. I unfortunately had to miss out on the 4th ride and spent the day on the couch instead.

It might sound like a nice break but I have really come to enjoy these long Sunday rides and missed the challenge that week. It has been really enjoyable to push my body to new limits and I can honestly say that it will be sad when the final ride is over.

Thankfully, I was pretty much back to normal this past Sunday and made it to the final training. The ride was 3 and a 1/2 hours and it went great!! I certainly do not think that the final ride will be a breeze. I anticipate that hours 5 and 6 will be pure adrenaline.

The founder of the Ovarian Cycle came in for the ride and it was really inspiring to hear her story. She was losing a friend and felt helpless so the ride was created in an effort to fight for her friend's life and the lives of all of the women affected.

I feel so grateful to be a part of this. The ride becomes very challenging at certain points and as much as I want to get off the bike sometimes, I think of all the women who did not have a choice. They had to go through the surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation, and they HAD to fight. I think of my grandmothers, my aunt, and my sweet friend Katelyn. All of their bodies have been ravaged by cancer and they have all fought for their lives. I think of this and I continue to ride... and usually I cry. I have been super emotional during these rides but it is so overwhelming to hear the stories, to ride with the survivors, and to think of the difference that this can make. The money will go to more research, early detection, more treatment options and most importantly more survival.
This week I am focusing on physically and mentally preparing for the ride. I am so looking forward to Sunday. Thank you for all of your support!!!

Please check out my page if you have not had the chance.
http://www.ovariancycle.org/getinv/showPart.php?partID=1096
Also, I highly recommend downloading Melissa Etheridge's "I run for life". It has been such an inspirational song each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment